[strongSwan] IKE_SA/CHILD_SA instance

Tobias Brunner tobias at strongswan.org
Thu Nov 8 09:15:34 CET 2012

Hi Jordan,

> I appreciate if any one could explain to me whether IKE_SA connection
> instance # is unique within the entire IKE_SA list?

Yes, the number displayed in [] behind the connection name uniquely
identifies an IKE_SA within the entire IKE_SA list.

> Is the instance ID unique with in the entire IPsec SA list?

Yes, the number displayed in {} here is actually the reqid of an IPsec
SA, that is, it can also be seen in the output of ip xfrm state.

> I want to use the instance # (without connection name) to delete IKE_SA
> and CHILD_SA's.

Simply use either [n] or {n} with ipsec down to do that (n being the
respective unique id).  That the name is optional in this case is now
also explained on the wiki page at [1].

Regards,
Tobias

[1] http://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/IpsecCommand