[strongSwan] eap-radius

Martin Willi martin at strongswan.org
Tue Nov 6 10:12:09 CET 2012

Hi Dimitry,

> Please tell - if i will use strongswan + eap-radius + freeradius - all
> user passwords will be stored encrypted in mysql database?

This does not depend on strongSwan, but on your clients and your RADIUS
installation. If you connect Windows 7 clients with EAP-MSCHAPv2, your
RADIUS backend has to provide at least the NT hashes of your passwords.
That's not really safe, and a non-reversible encryption is not possible
with that protocol.

If you use other clients, or even our xauth-eap bridge, it depends on
the used EAP method. Our EAP-GTC for example exchanges passwords (in the
safely encrypted tunnel) in the clear, hence you can apply any hashing
function to verify them against your hashed database entries.