[strongSwan] Windows 7 IKEv2 Error 13806

Tiebing Zhang tzhang at advistatech.com
Thu May 17 14:55:25 CEST 2012

Hi Andreas,

Yes I did, as far as I can tell. After importing the certificate file,
two certificates showed up in the "Certificates(Local
Computer)->personal->certificates" store. One is the "win71" certificate
and one is the "CA" certificate. I moved the "CA" certificate to the
"Trusted Root Certificate Authorities" by dragging and dropping the
certificate. When I double click the "win71" certificate, it shows
something like this:

  Allows secure communication on the Internet
  Ensures the identity of a remote computer
  Proves your identity to a remote computer

  Issued to :win71
  valid from 5/15/2012 to 5/15/2013

  *You have a private key that corresponds to this certificate.

When I click on the "certificate path", it shows the path to the "CA"
certificate on the top of the dialog box and on the bottom it says "
this certificate is OK".

I compared the CA certificate on the Win7 and the one on the StrongSwan.
They are the same CA certificate.

Just one note: I use ECDSA P_384 in the certificate. I don't think this
is a problem but just wanted to mention that to you.

Looking at the log file of the Strongswan, it seems like that Strongswan
hasn't got a chance to send the actual strongswan certificate to Win7.
It only sent the "CA" certificate to Win7, and somehow Win7 couldn't
validate that CA cert?

Another note: The Win7 is without the Service Pack 1.

Thank you for your gracious help.

Best regards,

Todd