[strongSwan] Charon hangs after failing to delete Rekeyed IPsec SAs

gowrishankar gowrishankar.m at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Mar 23 14:46:16 CET 2012

Hi Anand,

wrt RFC 4306 Page 22:

    If the two ends have the same lifetime policies, it is possible that
    both will initiate a rekeying at the same time (which will result in
    redundant SAs).  To reduce the probability of this happening, the
    timing of rekeying requests SHOULD be jittered (delayed by a random
    amount of time after the need for rekeying is noticed).

Not a concrete suggestion, but to make sure that, strongswan 4.3(.6) is
not having
any bug (or improper handling) to gitter rekeymargin. Can it be searched
quickly
in git tree (for any such commit)?

Second, after reading few following paragraphs (and importantly last
para of Sec2.8),
the timing window for rekeymargin is also associated to CREATE_CHILD_SA
request
handled by rekey responder. You may need to look closely in charon.log
at this situation.

I also observed that, you are setting keyingtries=1. Can it be the
default 3 and tried
once again, if there is any packet drop observed ?

Thanks,
Gowri Shankar