[strongSwan] Charon hangs after failing to delete Rekeyed IPsec SAs

anand rao anandrao_me at yahoo.co.in
Tue Mar 20 09:25:34 CET 2012

Hi Tobias,

  Thanks for the reply and suggestion.

  I have changed the tunnel config as below

conn %default
    ikelifetime=20m
    keylife=10m
    rekeymargin=3m

But still the problem persists. I can still see lot of redundant SAs when issued "ipsec statusall".

On my environment there is no support for kernel-netlink interface for IPsec,

I have to use kernel-pfkey interface only as I have my hooks registered in PFKEY to XFRM for IPsec.

I have tried latest versions of strongswan (4.5.1 and 4.5.3) both resulted in kernel panic after running for a while.
I think there is not much support for kernel-pfkey plugin in latest strtongswan versions, and since latest versions
require kernel-netlink plugin to function properly migrating to newer versions might be not helpful in my case.

Kindly suggest me what can be the solution for this issue.

Thanks,
Anand