[strongSwan] Unable to establish a IKEv2 PSK - MAC mismatchd

Adrian Milanoski amilanoski at rim.com
Fri Jun 29 22:24:41 CEST 2012

HI all,

I  currently have 2 strongSwans in my  environment and one is currently authenticating and 1 is not.

I have cloned the configurations to the 'T' and yet still once allow authentication to pass. The one that is passing authentication is only passing authentication with 1 username, but when I setup another username I get the same errors as I did previously.

My current network configuration is as follows:

Public --> 10.137.205.0/24
Private --> 172.16.0.0/17

strongSwan1

public ip = 10.137.205.202
private ip = 172.16.1.60

ipsec.conf
config setup
        plutostart=no

conn %default
        keyexchange=ikev2
        type=tunnel
        rekeyfuzz=0%
        rekeymargin=30s
        rekey=yes
        reauth=no
        ikelifetime=7m
        keylife=5m
        authby=secret

rw-psk.conf

conn rw-psk
        left=10.137.205.202 <-- VPN Concentrator address
        leftfirewall=yes
        right=%any
        rightsourceip=172.16.3.0/24 <-- Virtual Pool for clients
        auto=add
        type=tunnel

strongSwan2

ipsec.conf

config setup
        charonstart=yes
        plutostart=no
        charondebug=all

# Add connections here.

conn rw-psk
        left=10.137.205.176
        leftsubnet=172.16.24.0/24
        leftsourceip=172.16.24.0/24
        right=%any
        rightsourceip=172.16.24.0/24
        auto=add
        authby=psk
        keyexchange=ikev2

Errors I am getting all the time now and I have read that there is no matching configuration or something along those lines. I am constantly trying to manipulate the configuration to work,  but have had no luck!

13[IKE] tried 1 shared key for '%any' - 'vpntest', but MAC mismatched

-