[strongSwan] Acquiring a DNS server address through config payload

Pisano, Stephen G (Stephen) Stephen.Pisano at alcatel-lucent.com
Tue Jun 19 21:06:53 CEST 2012

Hi:

http://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/VirtualIp says:

"The client can't request other attributes, but it may process the DNS attributes. Received DNS servers are written to the beginning of /etc/resolv.conf, or an other file specified with the --with-resolve-conf configure directive."

Is this statement an up-to-date descroption of the DNS config payload functionality?

Regarding where the received server is written, I also notice a 'charon.plugins.resolve.file', so I wonder how these configurations interact (i.e., ; --with-resolve-conf configure directive; vs. 'charon.plugins.resolve.file')?

Also,  rather than have the have strongSwan modify the resolv.conf file, it would be desireable to have a notification of the returned DSN server address via up/down script, and the conveyance of the address via a variable (just as PLUTO_MY_SOURCEIP is set in the virtual IP case).  Is such a behavior currently supported?

Thanks,
Stephen