[strongSwan] OCF-linux strongswan availability

Martin Willi martin at strongswan.org
Fri Jun 1 12:49:40 CEST 2012

Hi,

> Does anybody know if there is a OCF-linux accelerated strongswan
> available?

strongSwan provides the userland components (IKE) of IPsec only and does
not have direct support for OCF. We have a crypto backend that uses
OpenSSL, though, and it might be possible to use OCF in userland through
this plugin. And we support the new AF_ALG interface, which allows you
to use any kernel level crypto driver in the Linux Crypto API.

Using OCF for ESP packet processing in kernel is a completely different
story. The default IPsec stack in Linux (Netkey) uses the Linux crypto
API, not OCF. But that crypto API gets support for more and more
hardware accelerators.