[strongSwan] strongswan: clarification needed on rekeying failure

gowrishankar gowrishankar.m at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Jul 9 17:41:05 CEST 2012

Hi Martin,
Thought of checking with "keyingtries=1" when NO_PROPOSAL_CHOSEN is in
CREATE_CHILD_SA response.

 From charon.log:

[IKE] CHILD_SA tahi_ikev2_test{1} established with SPIs cdee854a_i
e31e56a3_o and TS X:X:X:1::1/128 === Y:Y:Y:1::1/128
..
[KNL] received a XFRM_MSG_EXPIRE
[KNL] creating rekey job for ESP CHILD_SA with SPI cdee854a and reqid {1}
..
[IKE] received NO_PROPOSAL_CHOSEN notify, no CHILD_SA built
[IKE] failed to establish CHILD_SA, keeping IKE_SA
[IKE] CHILD_SA rekeying failed, trying again in 24 seconds
[JOB] next event in 3s 930ms, waiting
[KNL] deleting SAD entry with SPI cb23d44e
[KNL] sending XFRM_MSG_DELSA: => 40 bytes @ 0x7fabc6b4a830
[KNL] creating rekey job for ESP CHILD_SA with SPI e31e56a3 and reqid {1}
[MGR] checkout IKE_SA by ID
[MGR] IKE_SA tahi_ikev2_test[1] successfully checked out
[IKE] queueing CHILD_REKEY task
[IKE] activating new tasks
[IKE]   activating CHILD_REKEY task
..

I would like to know if "keyingtries" is applicable just after one
CREATE_CHILD_SA
attempt or its count is including even first attempt to rekey. As I set
its value to one
and I see in two places rekeying attempted, I am slightly confused here.
Can you
clarify please.

Thanks,
Gowri Shankar