[strongSwan] Automated test ha/both-active fails

Daniel Palomares palomaresdaniel at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 15:55:20 CEST 2012

Thanks for the reply Willi,

What I have seen is that replay IPsec SA counters are increased by a big
number so there are no troubles with the IPsec SA counters. That's good!..
but....

But, imagine the following scenario: SG1 is  overloaded (big amounts of
IKE_SA connections). If the SG1 crashes just after he has answered some IKE
request and didn't have the time to synchonize this information to other
members in the cluster (SG2); then SG2 must close those IKE_SAs due to
unsynchronization of IKE_SA counters. I'm I right? The good point here is
that just those IKE_SA message replies that couldn't be synchronized with
SG2, are those which will be terminated. The rest of IKE_SA will continue
working.

Another subject that I'm working on: IKEv2/IPsec Traffic Management.

If we focus in a different problem, we can propose to manage some
IKEv2/IPsec traffic from SG1 to SG2 by using Redirect Mechanism and adding
a kind of transfer of IKEv2/IPsec context between gateways as well. Of
course, this is a much more research subject than an email for the
"User-mailinglist" of strongSwan, but I thinks this is still interesting.
ISPs will face the problem of peer mobility (mobility in terms of Access
Network, not just IP as MOBIKE already does) and I was thinking in a
solution to IPsec traffic management.

Regards
Daniel P