[strongSwan] dns entries in config payload

Tobias Brunner tobias at strongswan.org
Tue Jan 3 21:12:47 CET 2012

Hi Milton,

> Does libcharon process dns entries in the IKEv2 config payload?
> I defined following in /etc/strongswan.conf
>
> charon {
>   dns1 = 8.8.8.8
>   dns2 = 8.8.4.4
> }
>
> but the client does not appear to change local dns configuration.

The IKEv2 daemon charon currently only supports the CFG_REQUEST and
CFG_REPLY pair of configuration payloads.  So in order for the gateway
to send config payloads to the client the latter has to request a list
of attributes.  The only way to make charon as a client do so is by
having it request an internal IP address from the gateway.  That is, the
client has to be configured with leftsourceip=%config.

Regards,
Tobias