[strongSwan] Restarting ipsec on the left requires restart on the right

Tobias Brunner tobias at strongswan.org
Wed Feb 15 18:19:26 CET 2012

Hi Andreas,

> Issuing an "ipsec restart" on the left end of the tunnel seems to kill
> the connection and it won't come back until I issue an "ipsec restart"
> on the right end as well.

You should check the log on the right to see what the problem is when
left tries to re-establish the connection.

> This is obviously not practical. It seems the right server is not aware
> that the connection has been interrupted. How do I make it aware?

You could configure DPD with dpdaction=restart so that right
re-establishes the SA once it detects the old SA is gone.

> It may also be noteworthy that restarting the *right* server does not
> result in the same problem. In this case the connection is interrupted
> only for the time it takes "ipsec restart" on the right to complete. Is
> this behaviour because of the different StrongSwan versions used?

Could be, yes.  The log of the respective remote end should show if
there is a difference in their behavior.

Regards,
Tobias