[strongSwan] 5.0.1 unable to set UDP_ENCAP: Protocol not available

Nan Luo harvana2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 7 20:22:31 CET 2012

Hello, all

I was trying to setup a IPv6 tunnel with strongSwan as the client. strongSwan sent the IKE_SA_INIT  to my SGW and the SGW  properly responded. Wireshark capture indicated that the IKE_SA_INIT response was received on the network interface that strongSwan was listening on, however the packet (IKE_SA_INIT response) was not handed over to charon, instead the packet was responded with a "ICMPv6 Unreachable (Administratively prohibited)".  Any idea that the linux kernel can fail to distribute the packet to charon?

Examing the charon logs, I found the following errors:
"
charon: 00[KNL] unable to set UDP_ENCAP: Protocol not available
charon: 00[NET] enabling UDP decapsulation for IPv6 on port 4500 failed
"

Do those errors have anything to do with the failure to setup IPv6 tunnels?

I am currently running strongSwan 5.0.1. The IPv6 connection is:
conn ipv6_cert
    left=1080::192:160:1:100
    leftsourceip=%config
    leftcert=ss.cert