[strongSwan] Question about strongSwan configuration using RSA signature

Jorge Ventura jorge.araujo.ventura at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 20:11:41 CEST 2012

I have a linux box configured to authenticate by RSA signature using x509
certificate self-signed. My peer is a cisco router ASA-5505.
Both sides have the CA (self signed) certificate authority and they are
using IKEv2 and everything is working but I have one question:

Why do I need to have the certificate from the peer installed locally in
the directory /etc/ipsec.d/certs ??? It's weird to me because the ASA-5505
doesn't have any information about the certificate from the linux box, it's
negotiated at the time of connection. If I remove the directive at
ipsec.conf
pointing to a local certificate copy from the peer, a receive a message:

constraint check failed: identity '10.15.1.1' required

and the connection does not succeed.

I think that my configuration is incomplete.

Thanks,
Ventura