[strongSwan] load-tester plugin - configuration of source ip

Joern Mewes joern.mewes at gmx.net
Sun Aug 19 10:54:51 CEST 2012

Hi,

I would like to use the strongswan load-tester plugin for performance testing of our vpn systems and was able setup the tunnels with the following configuration:

            # enable the plugin
            enable = yes
            # 200 connections, ten in parallel
            initiators = 10
            iterations = 20

            # use a delay of 100ms,
            delay = 100

            # address of the gateway
            remote = 192.168.0.1

            # IKE-proposal to use
            proposal = aes128-sha1-modp1024

            # use faster rsa authentication
            initiator_auth = pubkey
            responder_auth = pubkey

            pool = 192.168.40.0/25

            # do not request a virtual IP using configuration payloads
            request_virtual_ip = no

            # disable IKE_SA rekeying
            ike_rekey = 0

            # disable CHILD_SA rekeying
            child_rekey = 0

            # do not delete the IKE_SA after it has been established
            delete_after_established = no

            # shut down the daemon if all IKE_SAs established
            shutdown_when_complete = yes
          }

I am wondering if there is a way to specify a pool of IPs which are used as source addresses to initiate the VPNs. My problem is that our DUTs is a blade based system distributing the tunnels based on src-ip of the initiator and due to the fact that all tunnels initiated by the load-tester plugin are using the same ip all VPNs will be established on the same blade.

I found the parameter ”charon.plugins.load-tester.pool” in the documentation however I am not sure if this parameter is the right one as nothing changed after I configured it in the strongswan.conf.

Can someone point me into the right direction and tell me if the load-tester plugin can be configured to use different a different source-ip per initiator-instance?

Thanks for your help.

Joern