[strongSwan] Different Crypto library

Andreas Steffen andreas.steffen at strongswan.org
Sun Sep 25 22:24:20 CEST 2011

You have to differentiate between IKE which relies on userland crypto
and ESP which requires kernel crypto. For kernel crypto only the kernel
crypto API of the Linux 2.6 kernel (k) can be used.

For userland crypto there are several alternatives. I personally
prefer the combination "gmp" and "openssl" which uses the very fast
GNU Multi-Precision library for big number operations and openssl
for everything else including elliptic curve cryptography.
Gcrypt is about two times slower for big number operations than
gmp and AF_ALG which offers a userland interface to the Linux 2.6
kernel crypto API has quite a large overhead in calling kernel
functions but has the advantage that e.g. only one crypto library has
to be certified and the userland might profit from hardware
acceleration made available by special kernel drivers.

Regards

Andreas

Andreas Steffen                         andreas.steffen at strongswan.org
CH-8640 Rapperswil (Switzerland)