[strongSwan] strongSwan on Maemo (Nokia N900)

Peter Winterer winterer at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Sep 1 13:56:13 CEST 2011

Hi all,
I'm trying to setup strongSwan on a N900 device. I installed the
"strongswan-applet" package and configured a vpn-connection like it is
described in the strongSwan Wiki, section "strongSwan on Maemo.
However, establishing a vpn-connection to our strongSwan gateway fails.
But I can establish a vpn-connection to our strongSwan gateway  with a
Windows7 or Linux NetworkManager Client, using the "EAP-MSCHAP v2"
authentication mechanism. So, it seems to be a problem with the N900
device:

The last log entries in charon.log on the N900 device are :

[IKE] intiatiing IKE_SA  ..
[ENC] generating IKE_SA_INIT request 0 [..
[NET] sending packet: from ..
[NET] receive packet: from
[ENC] parsed IKE_SA_INIT response 0
[IKE] received ..
[IKE] establishing CHILD_SA vpn-connection
[IKE] unable to allocate SPIs from kernel

The strongswan.conf is the default, that comes with "strongswan-applet"
package.

Any ideas, what is going wrong here?
Thanks, Peter