[strongSwan] How to dynamically add and delete tunnels?

Martin Willi martin at strongswan.org
Fri Oct 21 09:25:37 CEST 2011

Hi,

> Sadly, this does not work. A minor inconvenience is that strongSwan
> does not like it if the directory is empty, but that is easily solved
> with an empty dummy file. However, it seems that only the first `real'
> configuration file is read, and anything beyond that does not work.

> Also, I had expected that if I remove a configuration file, its tunnel
> goes away, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

No, changing configurations don't affect running connections. You'll
have to issue an "ipsec down" if you want to close them.

> Is this a reasonable way to accomplish my goal?

Depending on how much effort you want to put in this solution and what
you'd like to achieve, you might want to consider implementing a
dedicated plugin. Our IKEv2 daemon allows you to plug in the required
functionality you need, there you'll have ultimate control on what's
happening.