[strongSwan] Strongswan Performance (IKEv1 tunnel establishment rate)

Martin Willi martin at strongswan.org
Thu Nov 17 10:01:49 CET 2011

Hi Amit,

> Thanks for your reply. I am more interested in IKEv1 performance.
> Please share if you have any performance numbers for IKEv1.

No, I haven't done any performance measurement for IKEv1.

> From figures you have mentioned  (  > 10'000 tunnels in couple of
> minutes) at the max 83 tunnels can be established in one second.  Has
> anyone done IKEv2 strongswan performance characterization? What is the
> max number of tunnels established in a second?

This highly depends on your hardware and the used public key operations,
as this is usually the limiting factor. If you have a high-end system
and use elliptic curve cryptography, you can get 500 or even more
complete tunnel setups per second. Our IKEv2 daemon has been tested to
scale almost linearly to up to 16 cores if configured properly.