[strongSwan] Android/Stongswan Integration

zhen chen zchen2711 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 15 17:27:38 CET 2011

Hi,

I have been trying to bring Strongswan 4.5.3 to Android 2.2.1 and goldfish 2.6.9. So far I have successfully integrated.

Now I can start the emulator, verifying the Kernel and Android built. I can use adb to start charon. I have a couple of  questions:

1. When I ran charon in adb shell, it started, but said: "android plugin failed to load, can't open android control socket". I did some search, the android plugin is something related to DNS.
 Question: do i have to to enable this plugin for VPN to work on the emulator? If so, i did some ./configure --enable-android, it failed because it couldn't find a requied lib.
2. In the frontend integration site, it says it needs CA assigned certs, quoted below.
Question: Does the certificate have to be issued by CA? Would self-assigned certificate work? I am just playing with it and wouldn't want to spend $1500 to buy one from verisign. :(

Help?
thanks in advance,
Zhen

Example Gateway Configuration
Certificates
A gateway certificate signed by a Certificate Authority (CA) is required and the CA-certificate has to be installed on the Android phone. This can be done easily via the integrated browser. The web server has to provide application/x-x509-ca-cert as MIME-type for the certificate to trigger the installation on the phone.