[strongSwan] Measuring Strongswan key metrics for production environments

Martin Willi martin at strongswan.org
Sat Nov 5 11:15:09 CET 2011

Hi Robin,

> I suspect that many of these things are already referenced within the
> code somewhere, just not instrumented to keep tally or expose those
> counters.  Of course, it would be great to not have to cobble and have
> a nice RPC/XML API, SNMP or other query system

Indeed much of this information is already available from within the
daemon, and even querying the kernel for kernel-level statistics can be
done easily from the daemon.

As we have a rather flexible plugin system, writing such an extension is
no voodoo. Collecting the data is one thing, exposing it to the outside
world the other. We have some ideas floating around about SNMP
integration, but nothing is done yet.

We certainly see some need for a good monitoring system, but the
strongSwan team currently has other priorities. We of course are always
open for integrating patches. Or we could write such an extension if
someone is willing to sponsor the development.

Best regards