[strongSwan] Migration from Openswan to Strongswan

Pavel Arnošt pavel.arnost at valvera.cz
Tue May 10 11:51:30 CEST 2011

Hi,

I tried to migrate our Openswan VPN (2.6.21) to Strongswan VPN (4.5.1) on our CentOS 5 server. Openswan package is from official CentOS repository (openswan-2.6.21-5.el5_6.4), Strongswan package have been built from this spec file: http://developer.intra2net.com/git/?p=strongswan-rpm;a=blob_plain;f=strongswan.spec;hb=e2bb0076fce6d44ee80cff4b20d90a0eee1fa689

I slightly modified configuration for IKEv1 keying, ipsec.conf looks like:

config setup
    charonstart=no
    plutodebug="control"

conn %default
    keyexchange=ikev1
    authby=secret

conn CONN
   type=tunnel
   left=A.A.A.A
   leftsubnet=192.168.52.0/24
   right=B.B.B.B
   rightsubnet=10.10.0.0/16
   auto=start
   auth=esp
   ikelifetime=28800s
   keylife=3600s
   compress=no
   ike=3des-sha1-modp1024
   esp=3des-sha1
   pfs=yes
   dpddelay=30
   dpdtimeout=120
   dpdaction=restart

Both ISAKMP and IPsec SA were succesfully established, ip xfrm policy output was the same as output from Openswan. But...

In tcpdump, I saw incoming ESP traffic from B.B.B.B, but no ESP traffic from our address A.A.A.A. Ping to 10.10.255.1 returned no response, so I think that policies were in place (with turned off VPN, ping returned "host unreachable" from far away gateway). I added "iptables -I FORWARD -j ACCEPT" rule to iptables to rule out problem with firewall.

Do you have any idea what can be wrong?

Thanks,
Regards,
Pavel Arnost