[strongSwan] Multi CA root configuration

Mickael SABELLE mickael.sabelle at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 18:34:28 CET 2011

Hi,

I need to configure two end-point tunnel on a Strongswan VPN gateway which
binds two differents CA root certificates and I would like know if somebody
already do that?

Ex: VPN client coming through the GW ETH1 will be authenticate by
certificate delivered by the CA Root 1 and VPN client coming through the GW
ETH2 will be authenticate by certificate delivered by the CA Root 2

Can we declare several CA in the ipsec.conf? for example as below?

# /etc/ipsec.conf - strongSwan IPsec configuration file

config setup
       crlcheckinterval=600s
       cachecrls=yes
       strictcrlpolicy=yes
       plutostart=no

ca rootCA1

       cacert=rootCA1Cert.pem
       crluri=http://crl2.strongswan.org/strongswanrootCA1.crl
       auto=add

ca rootCA2

       cacert=rootCA2Cert.pem
       crluri=http://crl2.strongswan.org/strongswanrootCA2.crl
       auto=add

conn %default
       keyingtries=1
       keyexchange=ikev2

conn roadwarrior1
       left=192.168.0.1
       leftsubnet=10.1.0.0/16
       leftcert=Gw-eth1Cert1.pem
       leftid=@Gw1.test.org
       right=%any

 rightca="C=FR, O=test1, CN= Root CA 1"
       auto=add

conn roadwarrior2
       left=172.16.0.1
       leftsubnet=10.1.0.0/16
       leftcert=Gw-eth2Cert2.pem
       leftid=@Gw2.test.org
       right=%any

 rightca="C=FR, O=test2, CN= Root CA 2"
 auto=add

Last question, Do I have to add specific parameter in the strongswan.conf to
manage 2 CA?
Thanks in advance,

Mickael