[strongSwan] Strongswan 4.5.1 with sqlite database: update database and DPD

Andreas Steffen andreas.steffen at strongswan.org
Fri Mar 4 07:41:17 CET 2011

On 03.03.2011 17:35, Andreas Steffen wrote:
> On 03/03/2011 10:55 AM, CETIAD - Fabrice Barconnière wrote:
>> Hello Andreas,
>>
>> Thank you very much for the patch.
>>
>> Our ARV tool generate the same child_configs's name for each peer_configs.
>> I think we must modify it if we want to execute "ipsec up child_name".
>> Do you think so ?
>>
> Would it help you if you could start up the peer config and all attached
> child configs would be started automatically, i.e. in our example
> scenario
>
>   ipsec up net-net
>
> would start net-1, net-2, and net-3. This would happen only in the case
> when there is no child config having the same name as the peer config.

I implemented this behaviour with the following patch
http://git.strongswan.org/?p=strongswan.git;a=commitdiff;h=25ed5672a60781e9bf82efbacba4804994bd129b

>> If we want connections to be up automatically after a restart or reboot,
>> is there any contraindication to set start_action = 2 on each gateway or
>> is it better to keep start_action=0 on one gateway and start_action=2 on
>> the others and execute "ipsec up child_name/peer_name" command on either
>> sphynx (start_action=0) or amon (start_action=2) gateway?
>>
> In the past usually two IKE_SAs and corresponding CHILD_SAs were
> established and maintained over all subsequent rekeyings. This is
> not harmful per se but creates twice the number of tunnels. I have
> to check if the the INITIAL_CONTACT notification introduced with
> strongSwan 4.5.1 has changed this behaviour.

This is indeed the case. With 4.5.1 you get:

Mar  3 22:13:18 moon charon:
 03[IKE] deleting duplicate IKE_SA for peer 'sun.strongswan.org' due to
uniqueness policy
03[IKE] deleting IKE_SA net-net[1] between
192.168.0.1[moon.strongswan.org]...192.168.0.2[sun.strongswan.org]

>> In /usr/sbin/ipsec script, line 278, /var/lock/subsys/ipsec file is
>> created if /var/lock/subsys directory exists.
>> If subsys directory doesn't exist, ipsec file is not created. Is it
>> normal behaviour ?
>>
> I even didn't know that this statement was present in the ipsec script.
> Probably has been there since the early FreeS/WAN times. So just forget
> about it.
>
>> In strongswan.conf file, we set log as following :
>> charon {
>>     filelog {
>>         /var/log/charon.log {
>>             time_format = %b %e %T
>>             append = yes
>>             default = 1
>>        }
>>     }
>>
>> Logrotate archives charon.log to charon.log.x.gz.
>> How charon daemon can create and use a new charon.log file without
>> restarting ipsec ?
>>
> Hmmm, rotation of log files doesn't seem to be supported. Only if you
> use the syslogger.
>

>> Best regards
>>
>> Fabrice
>>

> Kind regards