[strongSwan] Problem sending a packet out a raw socket over IPsec

Martin Willi martin at strongswan.org
Tue Jun 21 16:26:28 CEST 2011

> Status of IKEv2 charon daemon (strongSwan 4.5.2dr2):

Might be a good idea to update to 4.5.2, the developer releases are not
tested very well.

> I am trying to send an arbitrary IP packet out a raw socket destined
> for the other host, and I would like for this IP packet to traverse the
> IPsec connection.

Do the IP packets (on the wire) use the correct source and destination
addresses (10.41.42.210 === 10.41.42.215)?

I'm not sure if the Linux kernel routes locally generated RAW packets
through the XFRM subsystem. How do you generate them (SOCK_RAW or
AF_PACKET)? Does a packet generated with a UDP socket behave as
expected?