[strongSwan] Site-To-Site becomes unreasonable slow within 12h of running

Kim Zeitler kim.zeitler at konzept-is.de
Tue Jun 21 14:52:26 CEST 2011

Hello,

as our company has expanded lately we introduced strogSwan to our
infrastructure to allow both Windows7 Roadwarriors and Site-to-Site
connections.

The RW Setup works like a charm and gives us no trouble at all. But out
Site-to-Site setup shows some strange behaviour.

This 'strange' behaviour is as follows:
I get 3 Tunnels, all initiated by 'moon', within 2 minutes from first to
last, and the connection is fine so far. Letting this setup run for some
time (~12h) the reqid is within within the thousands and the connection
becomes very slow.
Stopping and restarting any side removes this behaviour.

I am pretty sure the problem is due to some misconfiguration on my side.
A breakdown of our configuration is attached.

Cheers,
Kim

The 2 sites 'moon' and 'sun' use following configuration:

'sun':
Our main gateway, to whom the RW connect.
Directly connected to the internet.
Using certs for authentication.

Version: Linux strongSwan U4.2.8/K2.6.27.7-9-pae

ipsec.conf:

config setup
     crlcheckinterval=600
     strictcrlpolicy=no
     cachecrls=yes
     charonstart=yes
     plutostart=no

conn %default
     ikelifetime=60m
     keylife=20m
     rekeymargin=3m
     keyingtries=1
     keyexchange=ikev2
     left=<IP>
     leftfirewall=yes

conn moon
     keyingtries=3
     leftsubnet=172.16.0.0/16
     leftcert=sun.konzept-is.deCert.pem
     leftid=@sun.konzept-is.de
     lefthostaccess=yes
     right=<IP>
     rightid="C=DE, O=Konzept Informationssysteme GmbH,
CN=moon.konzept-is.de"
     rightsubnet=172.17.0.0/16
     dpdaction=restart
     dpddelay=90s
     auto=start

'moon':
Our remote site gateway, NO roadwarriors
Connected to the internet via Router, outgoing are NATed, in-coming port
forwarding on UDP 500 and 4500, as well as ESP in general.
Using certs for authentication.

Version: Linux strongSwan U4.5.0/K2.6.37.6-0.5

ipsec.conf:

config setup
     crlcheckinterval=600
     strictcrlpolicy=no