[strongSwan] strongswan client configuration

Alexandre Chapellon a.chapellon at horoa.net
Sun Jun 12 16:50:35 CEST 2011

Hello,

I new to strongswan, and not so familiar with ipsec. I want to setup an
ipsec VPN gateway for site to site and roadwarriors.
I have installed strongswan on a debian 6 system. I have generated x509
certificates and rsa keys as described here:

http://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/SimpleCA

On the client side I have installed the strongswan network-manager
plugin. I can succesfully establish vpn connections and route packet
from and to the roadwarrior client.
I'd like to do the same but without using the network-manager gui... and
here it fails.
I guess my certs are ok as connections works just fine with gui. Here is
my ipsec.conf on the rw side:

config setup
     strictcrlpolicy=no
     charonstart=yes
     plutostart=yes

ca horoa
     cacert=/home/some1/ssl/pki/ca.crt

conn %default
     ikelifetime=60m
     keylife=20m
     rekeymargin=3m
     keyingtries=1
     keyexchange=ikev2

conn strongswan
     left=%defaultroute
     leftcert=/home/some1/ssl/pki/elronde.crt
     leftrsasigkey=/home/some1/ssl/pki/elronde.key
     leftsourceip=%config
     right=21.12.5.22
     rightid=vpn.domain.tld
     rightsubnet=172.20.0.0/23
     auto=add

when I type sudo ipsec up strongswan, connection seems to come up, but
routing does not work and looking ip xfrm policy I can see there is
none. Does any know where is my issue?