[strongSwan] Query regarding DPD with Linux

sandeep malik malik.proprty at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 06:18:59 CEST 2011

Hi Andreas,

I was trying to go through the DPD implementation of strongswan w.r.to Linux
2.6 kernel. We are using the Linux 2.6.35 kernel and need you help in
understanding how strongswan implements DPD for Linux.

When I did some googling I found you had a discussion with Herbert regarding
this and he suggested to use the policy use_time for implementing the DPD
with Linux. I have following queries:

Does strongswan uses the policy use_time or state use_time for both IKEv1
and IKEv2?

How does this help as per my understanding DPD shall use tunnel use_time as
there might be a scenario where in single policy have multiple SA's and one
of the SA might be active while rest inactive but the DPD won't be triggered
for inactive SA's as the policy use_time will keep on updating.

Regards,
Malik