[strongSwan] Routing between Tunnels

Ingmar Rosenhagen IRosenhagen at gmx.net
Wed Jul 6 03:10:31 CEST 2011

Hi,

after solving my problem with connection an android-device to strongswan (--enable-nat-transport was needed) I'm running in some trouble getting my routing straight.

My network looks like this:

 strongswan-gw1
  192.168.178.3

192.168.178.0/24
   homerouter
       dynamic ip

     static ip------------dynamic-ip/NAT--mobile-client
   strongswan-gw2

I've set up the tunnels between strongswan-gw1<-->strongswang-gw2 and strongswan-gw2<-->mobile-client. But I can't figure out how to get routing working so that the mobile-client can access the home-network.

I've tried to work with virtual-ips an assign ips in the same range to the mobile-client and strongswan-gw1. But packets which are send from the mobile client are not reaching strongswan-gw1. I can see them arriving on strongswan-gw2. But there they are not send via the next tunnel, even with ip_forwarding enabled.

I think I've made a major mistake somewhere, but I couldn't find examples for a situation likes this. Any hints are appreciated.

strongswan-gw1:

conn gw1-gw2
      left=192.168.178.3
      leftsubnet=192.168.178.0/24