[strongSwan] IPSEC Processing on a Security Gateway

Bharat S bharat.sarvan at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 9 06:21:48 CET 2011

Hi Andreas,
                 Thanks for your reply. So if there exists a third IPSec tunnel
from Gateway 2 to Host B,
there would be 3 layers of encapsulation, right? That is first encapsulation for
tunnel between Host A and
Gateway 1, second encapsulation between Gateway 1 and Gateway 2, and third
encapsulation between
Gateway 2 and Host B. So the packet received at Host B would appear something
like

New IP | ESP | IP | ESP | IP | ESP | Orig IP | UDP

So I believe the IP Stack on Host B needs to decrypt the received packet 3 times
to get the Original IP packet, right?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,
Bharat