[strongSwan] Scalable deployment

Martin Willi martin at strongswan.org
Mon Jan 3 12:01:48 CET 2011

Hi Yaron,

> I would like to define the policy so that I don't have to touch all
> existing servers when I add a new one to the group.

You can define a connection with rightid=%any or use a wildcard
identity. For a responder configuration, using right=%any allows you to
accept any initiator that has a valid certificate.

> In other words, a generic policy for all potential peers (taken from
> a certain subnet).

Initiating a transport mode SA without an explicit configuration, at
least on the initiator, is not possible. We could dynamically create a
configuration based on a triggering packet, but we currently don't
support such a feature.

> Is %group still supported for IKEv1? Is there a
> way to get similar functionality in Charon?

I've never used it, don't know if it still works. Charon does not know
that keyword.