[strongSwan] received netlink error: No such file or directory

Martin Willi martin at strongswan.org
Wed Feb 16 09:41:50 CET 2011

Hi Barry,

> I just upgraded from Strongswan 4.3.4 to 4.5.1 and my issue
> is back.  I did not upgrade the kernel (We are running 2.6.29.3).

If I remember correctly, this issue has been fixed in the kernel by [1].
On older kernels, your patch is required on IPv4-only hosts.

2.6.29, however, should actually contain the kernel fix and therefore
should work.

> I applied this patch, recompiled, and I get the same output.

Probably the problem is somewhere else, then. The error case is
different this time (No such file or directory).

I couldn't find a ENOENT return value in the kernel XFRM code path for
adding SAs, nor could I reproduce the issue here with a non-IPv6 kernel.

You may try to track down that ENOENT in the XFRM code by debugging the
kernel.

[1]http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=d81d2285