[strongSwan] StrongSWAN and AVM Fritzbox - Help!

Rene Bartsch ml at bartschnet.de
Sat Feb 12 20:15:32 CET 2011

Hello Andreas,

After using tcpdump I set all IPTables policies to "ACCEPT" and
doing a flush of all rules lead to a working VPN.

Which IPtables rules do I have to set to allow IPSec connection handshake?

Best regards,

Renne

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 18:12:07 +0100, Andreas Steffen
<andreas.steffen at strongswan.org> wrote:
> Hello Rene,
>
> strongSwan never sets up a tunnel based on incoming plaintext
> packets. With auto=route only outgoing plaintext trigger the
> setup of an IPsec tunnel. Packets from a subnet behind the
> Fritzbox should cause the Fritzbox to initiate an IKE negotiation.
>
> In any case a tcpdump or wireshark log and a strongSwan log
> with
>
>   plutodebug="control"
>
> would help to check if any IKE packets are leaving the Fritzbox
> and arriving at the strongSwan box.
>
> Best regards
>
> Andreas
>
> On 02/12/2011 05:02 PM, Rene Bartsch wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm new to IPSec and StrongSWAN, so a "Hello" to all list members! ;-)
>>

>> Setting up a VPN tunnel between two Fritzboxes and a Ubuntu server
drives
>> me crazy.
>>
>> Packets from the private subnet of the Ubuntu server lead to a VPN
tunnel
>> creation and everything working fine, but packets from the subnets of
the
>> Fritzboxes do not cause Strongswan to create a connection.
>>
>> Maybe someone can help me out here.
>>

>> Setup:
>>

>> 1x Ubuntu 10.04 LTS server, fixed public IP and Hostname,
>> 192.168.176.0/24
>> private Subnet, StrongSWAN 4.3.2-1.1ubuntu1, IPTables firewall with
>> "DROP"
>> default policy for INPUT and FORWARD chains and "ACCEPT" for OUTPUT
>>

>> 1x AVM Fritzbox 7390, one dynamic public IP, ISP-forced DSL
disconnection
>> every 24 hours, DDNS-Hostname, 192.168.177.0/24 private Subnet,
Internet
>> via NAT
>>

>> 1x AVM Fritzbox 7170, one dynamic public IP, ISP-forced DSL
disconnection
>> every 24 hours, DDNS-Hostname, 192.168.178.0/24 private Subnet,
Internet

http://www.avm.de/de/Service/Service-Portale/Service-Portal/images/Redaktionelle_Grafiken/vpn/ike_1.pdf

http://www.avm.de/de/Service/Service-Portale/Service-Portal/images/Redaktionelle_Grafiken/vpn/ike_2.pdf