[strongSwan] strongswan multiple iterations?

luxInteg lux-integ at btconnect.com
Thu Aug 4 16:49:16 CEST 2011

On Tuesday 12 July 2011 08:16:14 Martin Willi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > a) can two iterations of strongswan be run on the same network  -one on
> > the main router and the other on the ssh server?
>
> Does the SSH server run on a dedicated box with a public IP? Then there
> is no reason why you couldn't run strongSwan on it.
>
> > b) if a) is true, can ipsec traffic be routed directly to the ssh server
> > though the main router has the ipsec daemon running ?
>
> If ESP and IKE traffic will be addressed to the SSH server, why not.
>

> But it is not clear to me why you'll need two IPsec gateways on your
> network and what you'd like to do with them...
>
> Regards
> Martin

Thanks for your reply/  I have now adjusted the req  and is considering
placing the sshD server inside the local network.  If I use    the latest
version of strongswan and 'protocol selection'  as described  here:-

http://www.strongswan.org/uml/testresults/ikev2/protoport-dual/index.html
or here:-
http://www.strongswan.org/uml/testresults/ikev2/protoport-route/index.html

Speaking of ssh only,  would there not be additional  secutity if a connection
for the ipsec-client/sshd-server  (in this case Alice) was described
in the ipsec.conf file for the gateway?  And if so what would the resultant
connection be in the ipsec.comf file for the rw-client  Carol?

(  In otherwords basically I want a setup where the  tummel; is   from the
remote host to the sshD server inside the network )

#######

advice would be welcomed.

sincerely

lux-integ