[strongSwan] Possible to disable VPN banner?

Andreas Steffen andreas.steffen at strongswan.org
Fri Sep 10 16:50:02 CEST 2010

Create a SQLite database with

  cat tables.sql sqlite3 /etc/ipsec.d/ipsec.db

with the database scheme from

http://git.strongswan.org/?p=strongswan.git;a=blob;f=testing/hosts/default/etc/ipsec.d/tables.sql;h=eb41533cb0aa40e20e5a555005c152e7d34d75c9;hb=HEAD

Enable the attr-sql plugin with ./configure --enable-attr-sql ..

and add the path to the database to your /etc/strongswan.conf file:

libhydra {
  plugins {
    attr-sql {
      database = sqlite:///etc/ipsec.d/ipsec.db
    }
  }
}

Then add an alternative or empty banner with the command

  ipsec pool --addattr banner --string "<new banner>"

As an alternative you could change the default banner text in the
source code:

http://git.strongswan.org/?p=strongswan.git;a=blob;f=src/pluto/modecfg.c;h=0d0cd899cfb3db848c221d8460f97e15202fa015;hb=HEAD#l47

and recompile strongSwan.

Regards