[strongSwan] many cipher/hash modes seems to be unavailable

Christoph Anton Mitterer calestyo at scientia.net
Sun Oct 3 12:35:36 CEST 2010

Hi.

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 12:26:13 +0200, Andreas Steffen
<andreas.steffen at strongswan.org> wrote:
> IKEv2 support for the AEAD modes CCM and GCM will be introduced
> with the forthcoming strongSwan release 4.5.0.
Ah :D I couldn't just believe that the Wiki is so current :)

Is there some kind of security analysis which of the supported ones is
"best"?
And isn't it overkill to an authenticating and encrypting cipher, because
I thought authentication would (in addition) be already gained by the e.g.
sha1 part?

Cheers,
Chris.