[strongSwan] A question about KLIPS in strongSwan

Mark Ryden markryde at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 15:40:04 CET 2010

Hi,
  I have a question about KLIPS in strongSwan (I am a newbie to this
open source project).

First:
As far as I understand , with strongSwan, with 2.4 kernel we work with
KLIPS whereas with
 Linux 2.6 kernel we work with  native IPsec.  We **cannot**  work
currently with KLIPS in kernel 2.6.

Please correct me if I am wrong at this point.

Second:
I saw that in OpenSwan you can work with KLIPS also with 2.6 kernel.
In case you want to have NAT traversal
support with KLIPS in openswan with 2.6 kernel, you should patch the kernel.

So, my question is: is there any advantage of using KLIPS with 2.6
kernel ? are the lookups perform
quicker when working with KLIPS on a high loaded server? or is KLIPS
good only for legacy
reasons?

Regards,
Mark Ryden