[strongSwan] About two tunnel issue

David Deng david.live.koo at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 09:44:19 CET 2010

Hi Andreas, Hi All,

During the last two weeks, I did a interesting testing which will be
described as followed.

1) I established IPSEC tunnel by using strongswan over IP-in-IP tunnel (that
means two tunnel has been established);

2) In these two tunnel, I used the same inner IP as the original IP (that
means there IPs are the same);

3) I use the linux kernel 2.6.28 with the following patches and enabled the
IPsec related kernel options.

*1*

SKB True Size Problem, detail information can be found in:

http://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/11964/

*2*

IPV6 Stack Problem, detail information can be found in:

*http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-netdev/2008/11/25/4231304*<http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-netdev/2008/11/25/4231304>

4) After two tunnel established successfully, I initiate ping from the
host{A} to host{B}. ICMP reply package can not be seen on the cosole but
 I can see these packages in the cratched list of tcpdump (tcpdump -i
ip-in-ip).

so I am wander that if this scenarios (IPsec tunnel mode over IP-IN-IP
tunnel mode) can be supported by linux kernel2.6.28 or later version of
kernel.

If I need apply some patches to support this scenarios (IPsec tunnel mode
over IP-IN-IP tunnel mode).

look forward to your answer, thanks a lot!

cheers,
David Morris