[strongSwan] DPD enabled and tunnel dying

Carlos Xavier cbastos at connection.com.br
Fri Nov 12 13:38:12 CET 2010

Hi.

I got DPD configured on a tunnel, both gateways have it enabled. On my side i set the
dpdaction=restart
If I manually set the tunnel down, with ipsec down <conn_name>, aftter few seconds it comes up
again.

But we have noticed a strange behave, if there is a network outage, like the last one that took
about one hour, when the connection is restabilished, the tunnel do not come up again. We waited
about 15 minutes and nothing. I had to issue the command ipsec up <conn_name> to get the tunnel up
again.

This is the connection configurarion:
conn client_card_trans
        left=XXX.160.208.130