[strongSwan] pluto uses which kernel interface

Andreas Steffen andreas.steffen at strongswan.org
Tue Nov 9 11:25:50 CET 2010

Hello Anand,

pluto in strongSwan 4.3.6 uses the XFRM Netlink interface to communicate
with the native IPsec stack of the Linux 2.6 kernel.

With strongSwan 4.5.0 pluto loads charon's kernel-netlink plugin
and uses the XFRM Netlink interface per default. Alternatively you can
enable the kernel-pfkey plugin

   ./configure --disable kernel-netlink --enable-kernel-pfkey

which uses the PFKEYv2 interface to communicate with the kernel.
I haven't tested this with pluto but there are PFKEYv2 test scenarios
for the charon daemon:

   http://www.strongswan.org/uml/testresults/pfkey/index.html

Kind regards

Andreas