[strongSwan] StrongSWAN <-> Cisco router IOS 12.4

François Van Ingelgom francois.vaningelgom at pcsol.be
Tue May 11 15:22:46 CEST 2010

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to setup Strongswan (debian package) with a Cisco router (IOS 12.4).

Both servers are on the same subnet (our public subnet) for testing purposes.

Here is my ipsec.conf for strongswan:

version	2.0	# conforms to second version of ipsec.conf specification

config setup
	interfaces="ipsec0=eth0"
conn %default
        ikelifetime=86400
        keylife=3600
        keyingtries=%forever
        authby=secret
        auth=esp
        ike=aes128-sha1-modp1024!
        esp=aes128-sha1!
        pfs=no
        dpdaction=hold
        dpddelay=60
        dpdtimeout=500

conn tunnelipsec
	type=tunnel
	auto=start
        left=81.246.56.89
	leftnexthop=81.246.56.65
	leftsubnet=192.168.16.0/24
	right=192.168.1.218
	rightnexthop=192.168.1.1
        rightsubnet=192.168.18.0/24

include /etc/ipsec.d/examples/no_oe.conf

And here is my ipsec.secrets

81.246.56.89: PSK "SecretTunnelPass"

I'm sorry, i don't have the cisco config right here but it's a classical non tunnel configuration (esp-aes esp-sha-hmac aes128 and sha).

In fact, the connection can be established but when i try to ping the other end, the cisco fails claiming that he has no route for the network connected to the strongswan....

I really have no idea how to set it up, and i've been searching for a very long time now :/

I anybody would have any idea, hints or anything, i'll greatly appreciate :)

Thanks a lot

François Van Ingelgom