[strongSwan] strongSwan + Windows 7 + IKEv2 + MSCHAPv2 (Username and password)

Martin Willi martin at strongswan.org
Fri May 7 13:44:24 CEST 2010

Hi again,

> the response is just a little bit below:

A yes, haven't seen the first authentication round in the log.

> Why does strongSwan not reply with IKE AUTH  [Idr AUTH CERT EAP REQ/ID]

>      leftsendcert=never

Looks suspicious ;-). The example configuration uses
rightsendcert=never, which actually says to not request a certificate
from the client. leftsendcert=never will not include our own
certificate, for example if a client already has the peer certificate of
the gateway. But Windows 7 always expects a certificate payload to
authenticate the gateway.