[strongSwan] Problem in stack when crl updation is done

Andreas Steffen andreas.steffen at strongswan.org
Tue Mar 30 18:01:08 CEST 2010

Hi Vivek,

you are misunderstanding the meaning of the nextUpdate field in the CRL.

The old CRL defines

        Last Update: Mar 24 08:35:58 2010 GMT
        Next Update: Apr 13 08:36:18 2010 GMT
        CRL extensions:
            X509v3 CRL Number: 5227

and the latest CRL defines

        Last Update: Mar 26 10:37:27 2010 GMT
        Next Update: Apr 15 10:37:47 2010 GMT
        CRL extensions:
            X509v3 CRL Number: 5231

strongSwan first fetches CRL #5227 and notes that the nextUpdate
is due on Apr 13 08:36:18 2010 GMT. Before that date strongSwan
will not bother to look for a fresher CRL. Only when the old
CRL becomes stale after Apr 13 08:36:18 2010 GMT it will make an
effort to discover the new CRL # 5231.

If you want to react faster to revoked certificates then you
have two choices:

1) reduce the time between until nextUpdate to 1 day or even 1 hour
   and release fresh CRLs accordingly.

2) use the Online Certificate Status Protocol (OCSP) which will
   fetch the current status in real-time.

Best regards

Andreas

Andreas Steffen                         andreas.steffen at strongswan.org