[strongSwan] RDP over VPN tunnel

Tommi Kyntola tommi.kyntola at ray.fi
Tue Aug 17 13:55:34 CEST 2010

Hi,
we have had numerous problems with icmp type 3, code 4 (i.e. frag needed) packets
getting blocked by misconfigured third-party firewalls. The only viable
choice for us to avoid tcp-blackholes in those cases was to make sure the packets
fit the MTUs along the path to begin with. Because in our case it was all tcp
traffic inside the tunnels it was sufficient to use the mangle table and TCPMSS
clamping  (e.g. --set-mss 1300).

Naturally that has an impact on tcp throughput, but for us that was not an issue.

Hope that helps.

cheers,
Tommi Kyntola