[strongSwan] Strongswan and iphone

Thomas Blum thomas at blum.cjb.net
Sat Aug 14 18:33:32 CEST 2010

Hi all,
I'm trying to set up a vpn between my ubuntu lucid box and my iphone 3g.
I've read these instructions:
http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/networking/openswan-macosx.html

and my ipsec.conf looks like this:

# /etc/ipsec.conf - strongSwan IPsec configuration file

config setup
    plutostart=no
    charonstart=yes

conn %default
    ikelifetime=60m
    keylife=20m
    rekeymargin=3m
    keyingtries=1
    keyexchange=ikev2
    left=%defaultroute
    leftid=@server.strongswan.test
    leftfirewall=yes
    lefthostaccess=yes
    authby=secret

conn test
    right=%any
    rightid=@thomas.strongswan.test
    rightsourceip=10.3.0.2
    auto=add

conn L2TP-PSK
    rekey=no
    authby=secret
    pfs=no
    keyingtries=0
    left=%defaultroute
    leftprotoport=17/1701
    right=%any
    rightprotoport=17/%any
    rightsubnetwithin=0.0.0.0/0
    auto=add

connection test works fine with strongswan on my ubuntu lucid notebook.
But the iphone does not bring up a connection. But how could it? The
iphone is not being told any connection name! But when I enable vpn on
the iphone, nothing happens in the syslog of the ubuntu machine.

On the iphone, I entered the dyndns name of the ubuntu machine as
server, I set both "test" and "L2TP-PSK" as the description, hoping that
the iphone woult take this as connection name. I entered the PSK that is
found in the ipsec.secrets as "shared secred" in the iphone.

Has anyone managed to connect an iphone with a strongswan machine and
could give me advice?

Best regards

Thomas Blum