[strongSwan] IPComp in tunnel mode does not work for small packets?

Ajay Lele ajay.lele at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 02:58:00 CEST 2010

Hi,

In Strongswan version 4.3.6, there is a change related to IPComp in tunnel mode

http://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/repository/revisions/2b2c69e992d5e279ecde7d3ebf20804d59b8bf0d/diff

"Fixed IPComp in tunnel mode, stripping out the duplicated outer
header. This change makes IPcomp tunnel mode connections incompatible
with previous releases; disable compression on such tunnels."

If I am not mistaken, IPComp is applied only if compression is
meaningful. So will it not work for small packets? I am seeing ping go
through only for packet size >= 288 bytes

Thanks in advance

Regards
Ajay