[strongSwan-dev] Please advise which is the best option and a way forward

Noel Kuntze noel.kuntze+strongswan-dev-ml at thermi.consulting
Fri Oct 7 23:14:00 CEST 2022

Hi Hilly,

Some things.

GMAC is a MAC, not a cipher. AES-256 in the description means AES-CBC-256. The keyword for that is just "aes256".
Whether SHA256-128 or SHA256-96 depends on the other peer. the -96 version is the non-standardized one. Ask staff operating the other peer for details what they use.
You're more constrained by what the kernel you're using can do because it's processing the traffic (using the negotiated esp proposal).

The proposal your client asked for is ...
ike=aes256-sha256-ecp256!
esp=aes256-sha256!

You can of course ask them to use AES-GCM and AES-XCBC.

Kind regards
Noel

--
Noel Kuntze
IT security consultant

GPG Key ID: 0x0739AD6C
Fingerprint: 3524 93BE B5F7 8E63 1372 AF2D F54E E40B 0739 AD6C