[strongSwan-dev] External handling for PPK and PPK_ID

W wk2 at rogers.com
Tue Mar 9 22:46:17 CET 2021

Hi,

Is it possible to externalize PPK and PPK_ID handling via a custom plugin?

The scenario here is for Site-to-Site gateways.

I'd like to be able (through a plugin or otherwise) to retrieve a random
PPK_ID and PKK from an external service for the initiator, and the
responder would look up the PPK_ID on it's end to retrieve the
associated PPK (again via an external keying service).

In accordance with RFC 8784, the responder would look up the PPK from
the sent PPK_ID, and if the keys are mismatched, the connection fails
(this works now in Strongswan). I understand that NULL authentication
(RFC 7619) is not implemented in Strongswan, but that's not an issue in
this case.

I've looked into how to build plugins, so any pointers are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.