[strongSwan-dev] Backwards Compatibility

Tobias Brunner tobias at strongswan.org
Thu Jan 30 09:10:40 CET 2020

Hi Madhu,

> I am trying to update my strongswan from 5.6.0 to 5.8.2. Should I be
> expecting any backwards compatibility issues in libraries using
> strongswan ?

What are you referring to?  Programs/libraries actually linking to the
strongSwan libraries?  If so, then most likely.  Our libraries don't
provide a stable API.  The changes are also mostly undocumented, only
occasionally do I mention major changes for developers in the changelog.
 So you might have to go through the repository history if you run into
problems.  The only (mostly) stable interface is VICI [1].

For other possible issues when upgrading, check the changelogs [2].

Regards,
Tobias

[1] https://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/Vici
[2]