[strongSwan-dev] Question on dpdaction

Anand Murali anand1298 at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 19 12:31:09 CET 2017

Hi,

I was checking how DPD works in latest strongswan git.

DPD is sent using ike_sa->send_dpd() after a tunnel is established.

If the peer is not responding, retransmission_timeout happens for the tunnel and it closes. I have set dpdaction to restart.

>From ipsec.conf wiki, i saw that retransmit_timeout is used for DPD as well as all other messages.
In task_manager_v2->retransmit(), i cannot see any special condition for checking dpdaction.

There is a ike_sa->reestablish() but that is called by dpd_time_job, which is available for ikev1 only and IKE_DELETE job. For retransmit_timeout, there is no IKE_DELETE job being queued. We are doing only checkin_and_destroy.

May i know where dpdaction logic is implemented for ikev2 in our strongswan?

Thanks,
Anand